Moving into RI from Out of State

Forms and Fees

  • You need to complete and sign the Application for Registration.
  • Refer to the Checklist for Registration below for a list of documents needed to perform this transaction.
  • You need to complete and sign the Sales or Use Tax Exemption Certificate form.
  • You need to complete and sign the Sales Tax Exemption Affidavit.
  • Costs are listed in the DMV Registration Fee Table

Things to Know

  • Within 30 days of moving to Rhode Island you must obtain a new title and registration for your vehicle.
  • Insurance is mandatory in Rhode Island. You must carry liability at the minimum and your insurance company must be licensed to do business in the State of Rhode Island.
  • New residents need to have their cars inspected within five days of being registered.
  • A title is required for registration unless the vehicle is older than model year 2001 AND the jurisdiction from which the vehicle is coming is one that does not require a title for that vehicle
  • If two owners are on the title, both parties must be present during registration, if not, the signature of the absent party must be notarized on the Application for Registration.(TR-1 form)
  • If the title is from another state or the vehicle was registered in another state a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check is required before you register the car. Contact the police station you are going to visit to inquire what forms of payment they accept, as not all Police Departments accept cash.
  • If the lien holder has sent your valid out of state title to the RI DMV, you must first obtain it from the Research Office at the Cranston DMV before any transaction can be processed.

Leased Vehicles: The Division of Motor Vehicles will not request a title from a leasing company.