GU-1338 FAQs

GU-1338 Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Leasing companies
  2. Anyone under the age of 18 (minors)
  3. Dealer plates
  4. Public service vehicles/public plates/taxi
  5. Transporter plates
  6. In-transit plates
  7. School busses
  8. Motor vehicles for hire
  9. Auto body
  10. Bailee plates
  11. Fuel delivery vehicles
  12. Driving schools

A GU-1338/minor filing can be emailed to, faxed to 401-462-5805, or mailed to DMV – Financial Responsibility, 600 New London Ave, Cranston, RI, 02920.

To cancel a GU-1338 an SR-26 form must be sent in by the insurance company.

Minor filings can be removed by an insurance company sending an SR-26, notifying the Financial Responsibility office by calling 401-462-9246, or emailing the office at

Yes, contact your insurance provider to obtain the GU-1338/minor filing.

  • For a minor the following information is required.
    • Full name, date of birth.
    • Year, make, and identification number of the vehicle.
    • Insurer, policy number, and effective date

The state of Rhode Island no longer requires SR-22s