Veteran Placard, Plates and Registration Information

Veteran Disability Parking Placard

To receive a placard, you must be 100% service-connected disabled and submit a Veteran Disability Parking Placard Application for approval. If your application is approved, you will be notified by mail. You can submit your documents by fax at (401) 462-0829 or mail to:

RI Division of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Disability Parking Placard Office
600 New London Avenue
Cranston, RI 02920-3024

For more information on military and veteran plates, please click the links below:

Veteran Plates

Disabled Veteran Plates

National Guard Plates

Prisoner of War (POW) Plates

Purple Heart Plates

Gold Star Family Plates

Bronze Star Medal Plates


Registering Your Out of State Vehicle

  • What you will need to register your out of state vehicle:
    • Application for Registration (TR-1)
    • Identity document
    • Active RI Insurance Information
    • Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR found on driver’s side door jamb)
    • Original title (required on vehicles 2001 or newer without a lien)
    • Leased vehicles require an original title for vehicles 2001 or newer without a lien
    • Electronic or photocopied titles are only accepted if the vehicle has a lien in place (contact your lienholder or leasing company)
    • Proof of Ownership for non-titled vehicles (i.e., a registration with owner’s information)
    • VIN Check (required on vehicles 2001 or newer with an out of state title)
    • Tax Exempt Certificate (T-334)
    • Tax Questionnaire (SU-NR-1 and Bill of Sale, if applicable)
    • Power of Attorney from leasing company (if leased vehicle)

Motor Vehicle Purchased While Out of Country

  • To title a motor vehicle that was purchased while stationed out of the country, you must bring the following documents to RI DMV Headquarters in Cranston, RI. For more information contact US customs and Border Protection at (401) 732-6701: