Out of State Transfers

What do I need to bring with me to transfer my Out of State License to RI?

  • Your current Out of State License that is valid or has been expired for less than 5 years OR if that is unavailable, a certified driving record from your state showing the issue date, license number, your personal information and expiration date of your out of state license. If your current license is expired five years or more, you are required to take the learner's permit test and then schedule a road test.  The learner's permit test is given at the Cranston location only.  Reservations are required.
  • FOR REAL ID ONLY---Optional: One (1) proof of identity document, such as a certified copy of a birth certificate filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency in the individual's State of birth OR an unexpired passport.  Proof of name change, such as a government issued marriage license is required if your name differs from your name listed on your identity document.
  • AND Social Security Number (must be listed on application) OR a letter issued by the Social Security Administration stating the applicant is not eligible to receive a Social Security Number
  • AND two (2) proof of Rhode Island residency documents, such as a utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable, oil, water, sewer, satellite, heat, cell phone) with the address of residence clearly stated in the applicant’s name.
  • Refer to the third page of the License/ID/Permit Application (Checklist for License/ID Cards/Permits) for a more extensive list of documents accepted to perform this transaction.
  • NOTE: REAL ID’s from other states do NOT automatically transfer from state to state. To obtain a REAL ID, proper documentation needs to be submitted to the RI DMV at the time of your out of state transfer application.
  • NOTE: All license holders from United States Territories who are seeking to transfer that territory’s license to a RI Driver’s License must appear in person at the Cranston DMV for either verification of the license they possess, or to take the permit examination. These transactions are not performed at DMV satellite offices or AAA branch offices.


The following documents are required for an F1 and F2 Visa:

  • I-20
  • I-94 (NOTE: An I-94 is no longer needed to be attached to the passport. US Customs and Border Protection are doing it electronically. US Customs and Border Protection have decided there is no need to require the document since it has been determined that the person is allowed to be in the US. More information can be found on www.cbp.gov/I94.)
  • Passport
  • Social Security Number must be written on the application, or a letter issued by the Social Security Administration stating the applicant is not eligible to receive a Social Security Number.
  • Two proofs of residency

International Driving Permits: Although many countries do not recognize United States driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP functions as an official translation of a US driver's license into 10 foreign languages. For additional information please visit the US Department of State

Forms and Fees

  • You need to complete and sign the License/ID/Permit Application.
  • Costs are listed in the DMV Fee Table

Things to Know

Within thirty (30) days of moving to Rhode Island and establishing residency, you must obtain a Rhode Island Operator's License as required by state law (RIGL 31-10-1).

  • If your out of state license has been expired for more than five years, you must apply for the Instruction Permit by taking the computerized knowledge exam at the Cranston DMV headquarters and a road test.
  • Your initial Rhode Island license will be valid for up to two years, expiring on your birthday.
  • If you had a license in your state of origin that enabled you to drive a taxi, limo or other non-CDL class vehicle for hire, you must complete the Application for Chauffeur License. Bring the completed application to the CDL section of the DMV headquarters in Cranston.
  • Any other restrictions or endorsements you may have had on your out of state license, with the exception of HazMat and/or Passenger endorsements will be transferred to your new Rhode Island license with an equivalent restriction/endorsement.

Out-of-Country and US Territories: Information on Out-of-Country and US Territories drivers license transfers.