HazMat Regulations

The TSA and the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) rules require background checks of commercial drivers carrying the HazMat endorsement on their CDL. The background check includes collecting the individual's fingerprints and verification of US citizenship, immigration eligibility or permanent legal residence in the United States.

On February 8, 2022, FMSCA issued the following guidance for TSA Security Threat Assessments issued for Rhode Island CDL and CLP holders initiated prior to February 7, 2022:

If an individual seeking to obtain the H endorsement initiated a TSA Security Threat Assessment (STA) before February 7, 2022, but was unable to take and pass the HME (Hazmat Endorsement) Knowledge test before February 7, 2022, due to delays with completion of the TSA STA, the individual is not subject to ELDT for the HM endorsement.

Therefore, anyone who initiated their TSA/STA on or before 2/6/2022, will not be required to complete the Theory portion of ELDT for the Hazmat Endorsement Knowledge Test.  Once TSA approval is received, the applicant may take the Hazmat Endorsement Knowledge Test. 

Things to Know

  • The driver can complete the TSA HazMat driver application on the Hazardous Material Endorsement Enrollment web site at universalenroll.dhs.gov or call the toll-free Driver Help Desk at 1-855-347-8371 for assistance. The application must be completed prior to arriving at the fingerprint capture location.
  • The fee for the collection of fingerprints and driver application for a security check is $86.50, payable by credit card, electronic check or money order only (no cash will be accepted). If paying by money order, do not fill out.
  • Finger print processing is done by APPS for all HazMat applicants.
  • The RI location for fingerprinting is 1050 Warwick Avenue, Warwick, RI 02888, Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:30 am - 1:30 pm & 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
  • It takes approximately 4-5 weeks to process your application.
  • In order to renew your CDL with HazMat endorsement, transfer CDL/HazMat from state-to-state, or apply for a new CDL with HazMat, you must be approved by TSA.
  • You must take the HazMat written test at the Cranston DMV to obtain the HazMat endorsement for both the initial application and renewal.