New to Rhode Island

Things to Know

  • Insurance is mandatory in Rhode Island.  You must carry liability at the minimum and your insurance company must be licensed to do business in the State of Rhode Island.  For more information, contact the Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation.
  • All Out-of-Country and US Territories (American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Midway Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Republic of Palau, Republic of the Marshall Islands, and US Virgin Islands) drivers license transactions must be done at the DMV Cranston headquarters.  These transactions are not performed at any DMV or AAA branch office.  Please proceed to the Check-In area on the First Floor.
  • New residents transferring from US Territories must bring a certified driving record as well as their current drivers license.
  • New residents from Out-of-Country who are 18 or older, must apply for an Instruction Permit at the DMV Cranston headquarters.

Things to Do